Re: Decent little cap tester...

From: Warren 'Llama' Ernst <warren_at_techie.com>
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 14:11:46 EST

On 1/14/98, at 11:06 PM, gonzothegreat@juno.com wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:33:17 -0800 Clay Cowgill <clayc@diamondmm.com>
>writes:
>
>>Just some more info for any of you expanding your test gear. I was
>making
>>an order from Jameco the other day and saw their "BelMerit Capacitance
>>Meter" (#140741) for $59.95... I decided to add it on to the order--
>when
>>I called in the price was $49.95 (cool).

>Has anybody here had any experience with any of the "cheap" cap ESR
>testers? I do a lot of work with switcher PSUs and I wanted some opinions
>before dropping some cash on the Dick Smith model.

My meter has a cap tester, and I've been pleased with it. For the caps used
ini a cap kit, it SEEMS to be able to tell me if a cap is good or not, and
if it at least close to ite marked rating. What is it about these tools
that differs from what me meter tells me?

-Warr

Reviewer, "Windows Magazine" | Warren Ernst - warren@techie.com
Author, "Using Netscape" | http://www.cris.com/~wernst/
"Internet 1997 Unleashed" (c) | Computer Journalist, Consultant, Author
"Netscape 3 Unleashed"(contr) | Graphic Artist, Nerd
"Presenting ActiveX" |
Que and Sams.Net Publishing | "If it ain't broke, don't break it."