Re: Bulletproof your WG6100!

From: Anders Knudsen <Anders_Knudsen_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 17:03:12 EST

>Don't think I'm not interested (I am) but the last design you had was not
short
>circuit proof, have you tried connecting a jumper across the output to see
what
>happens to those pass transistors?

I have been meaning to to that! I'll give it a jolt tonight and report what
happens.
At any rate, shorting the pass (power) transistors will not harm the new
regulator board.

>Either way I'm not sure short circuit proof is that big a deal and I'm
>interested in a few of these even if they're not short proof.

I did not add any short circuit protection to the LV PCB because it is not
necessary. If the pass transistors do short, the LV PCB will not be damaged
(not so with the old original design!)
However, adding some kind of short circuit protection to the pass (power)
transistors themselves would be a good idea. I have some short circuit
protection schemes jotted down on paper, specifically a foldback current
limit circuit, that could easily be added to the power transistors. I'll
add it to my list of things to do when I am done with the fab order.

-Anders.