Re: Bulletproof your WG6100!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 14:22:47 EST

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:52:12 -0700, Anders Knudsen
<Anders_Knudsen@btc.adaptec.com> wrote:

>Well I finally got all my shit together and finished up the low voltage
>retrofit design for the WG6100 color monitors.
>Just a reminder this retrofit replaces the low voltage power supply on the
>deflection PCB.
>I have a quote from a local PCB fab that has very reasonable prices (they
>actually were a better price than Alberta Printed Circuits (the one Clay
>uses I think).
>Anyway, I will place an order if there are people that want this retrofit.
>FYI: I am not in this to make any money, just to sell enough to break even
>:-) and have a few LVPCBs for my own games.
>Here is the deal:
>The PCB is very "cute": 1" x 2" in size and fits perfectly in the place of
>the old LV parts.
>It bulletproofs the LV part of the deflection PCB. So if you get HV
>runaway, or some deflection short problem, the LV PCB will not be damaged!
>i.e., never replace your LV parts again!

Don't think I'm not interested (I am) but the last design you had was not short
circuit proof, have you tried connecting a jumper across the output to see what
happens to those pass transistors?

Either way I'm not sure short circuit proof is that big a deal and I'm
interested in a few of these even if they're not short proof.

I liked the design, and it certainly works in the "spirit" of the original
design in that it replaces a very badly designed "zener" regulator with a nicely
designed IC regulator, and keeps you from having to re-wire the power transistor
sockets (or hack the PCB) which I design I came up with required you to do.

I'm going to want at least 5 of these things, most likely more (I'll have to go
around the garage counting!)

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically