Re: Battlezone problem.

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 21:34:05 EST

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Mitchell Rohde wrote:

> Ok, so I tried some of the suggestions folks sent. I reseated the chips
> again and checked for bent pins, etc. Still no dice. Forcing the
> resetting to stop by grounding that WDDIS testpoint worked, but the game
> is still dead. I can assume that taking the chips out and cleaning or
> handling the board killed something that was on it's way out (though I am
> very careful and have experience working with stuff like this for many
> years... strange. Only old games seem to be so sensitive...)

        Does the self-test run at all?

        The manual says that there are like 2 ROMS that will cause the
self-test not to run if they are bad. ROMS do go bad relatively often in
the old Atari B/W games, so you mihgt want to check them out, especially
if they're masked ROMS (I think someone else might've said the same
thing....) I don't have the manual in front of me, so I don't know whach
ones they are...

        Usually a bad RAM will get picked up by the self-test (at least I
haven't had a case where it hasn't.) So I wouldn't bet on it being a bad
RAM.

> My question is this: what is the boot sequence of the battlezone board?
> When does the Watchdog clear address get written to by the cpu?

        I have no idea....Has anyone disassembled the code? Maybe some of
the MAME people know....

Joe