Re: Did you guys notice....

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 11:49:53 EST

Clay Cowgill wrote:

> The SP0250's were what we were specifically looking for. I'm still pretty
> sure that the '256 can be used with some hacking though. If anyone wants
> some 256's for whatever reason I've got a bunch at $2.50 a pop... (I was a
> long ways from home and saw them in a surplus place so I bought 'em even
> though I wasn't sure about the part number-- didn't want to be kicking
> myself for not getting them. :-)

These chips are a lot of fun, especially if you get yourself the
companion Text To Speech chip. I think it's the CTS256AL2. JDR
Microdevices advertises this chip incorrectly as the SPO-256-Al2. I
ordered one, because I was looking all over the place for it, and when
it arrived, I was 'dissapointed.' I then located my long lost
SPO256AL2, and found a data sheet for the CTS256AL2. I learned this was
the text to speech companion chip, and was not dissapointed anymore.
;-)

BG micro used to sell, (maybe they still do) a complete unit on an ISA
card, that houses both of these chips, with the external RAM. You can
plug it into an ISA slot for power only. It has a DB-25 for serial data
input, and you can power it yourself from the edge connector. Anyway,
this unit is great, because it was about $50, built, and works great. I
found this, after I had wire wrapped something similar. Doh. So, I had
to buy it. They sold this at least 2 years ago when I got mine, so they
might still have them around. It even came with a 5.25 inch disk with
silly DOS programs to demo it's capabilities.

Joel-