Re: Bulletproof your WG6100!

From: Anders Knudsen <Anders_Knudsen_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 13:25:45 EST

At 11:24 PM 1/14/98 GMT, Zonn wrote:
>>One thing that I had thought would help protect both the power pass
>>transistors, and the deflection transistors, would be to add a TVS
>>(transient voltage suppressor) accross the collector-emitter. This would
>>clamp any voltage spikes. It is just a matter of soldering one directly
>>across the ce of the transistor!
>>-Anders
>
>I like the idea, are the TVS's fast enough to protect the transistors?
>
>-Zonn

Hey all interested, I looked into the TVS's (Transient Voltage Suppressors)
which may be a solution to suppressing transient voltage spikes across the
ce of the deflection (and/or LV power) transistors. FYI, a TVS is basically
like a zener diode. That is, it has a reverse break down curve to sink any
spike.

Here are some specs for consideration:
They are *very* fast, clamping time less than 1 pico second!
Peak pulse power dissipation: 1500W
Steady state power dissipation: 5W
Forward Surge Current, 50ms, 200A
Have various breakdown voltages; some to consider are: 27V, 30V, 33V, 51V, 68V
They come in a large diode package (DO-201) so could easily just be
soldered directly onto the transistor socket.
Are relatively inexpensive: $1.36 each for the ones I am looking at.

Thoughts?
-Anders.