Re: News group find ! NOS Star Trek kit !

From: Dwight Anderson <mayday19_at_IDT.NET>
Date: Sat Jan 24 1998 - 03:48:17 EST

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Bill Esquivel wrote:

> jim rogers is probably the same J M rogers that I think is from stone
> mountain Georgia. I think he was the source of boards behind the
> neatojunk sales...

they are the same. All the boards were ed's.

> Now I don't want to bad mouth the guy as I did get the space lords
> boardset I ordered. The best part was that board worked. SO, bid
> accordingly...

I bought one board from Jim before I knew who he was. i got it but it took
a couple weeks (no biggie), and he shipped it in a cardboard envelope
with NO packing.. The corners of the board were sticking through the
package and were all chipped up. the board set was said to be complete
but was not.. I just dropped it thinking I would not get anywhere.

> Also, keep inmind that I think the videotopia guy supposedly found a NEW
> in the box dedicated star trek and it was dead upon first plug in!!
> Considering how fast sega monitors flame, I would think any doa unit you
> find would be just about new...

In case you dont know.. i work for videotopia. We got the aforementioned
ST from a warehouse in 1993. it was still boxed up and it turns out the
machine was used for the industry show that was held in Atlanta that year
as a show game. I think there were 6 games at the show and this was one of
them.

I think the game was boxed up after the show and 'lost' until we found i
10 years later. It is a dedicated just like any other game, but it has a
small label affixed to the front panel of the cab that reads "Game set for
free play." The coin door is in place, and the lights light up, but the
wires for the coin switches are not in place. Alse there is no power
switch or wiring in place for one. The hole where the powr switch is
supposed to be is drilled only half-way through the cabinet.

The monitor is alos different than most other GO8s. It has a sticker on it
that says "MOD installed" and it has some extra stuff on it. I have
actually never looked at it, but I an told the monitor has added circuitry
probably because SEGA wanted the game to work through the entire show!

It does work perfect. It probably has less than a day or 2 worth of play
on it since we got it.. We do not bring it to our exibitions because we
dont want it messed up! We tried running SEGA vector games in the exhibit
before (we have all of them except for a complete eliminator), but I had
to fix it (it was a Tac/Scan) 3 times in 4 days, so I pulled it out. In
the future we would like to put a few SEGA vector games in, but I'd need
to make them more reliable. I have had NO problems with the monitors, just
the boards and PS. Of course I do have a lot of broken monitors that need
attention too :)

The ST is only a few feet from me, but is buried behing a couple other
games.. I might be able to provide a few pics if anybody wants to see it..

Jeff (not Dwight, gotta fix that but I'm to lazy)