RE: Wells Gardner "display corrector"...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 20:22:52 EST

> What a coincidence given that I recently dug up my Tempest to Major
> Havoc translator board! Can your board be used for Quantum....as I
> remember it used the Ampliphone monitor so it needs correcting too?

Quantum has a the display corrector built in for all intents and
purposes. Space Duel, Gravitar/Black Widow and the like used two
"pairs" of correctors to fix the bowing on both the horizontal and
vertical axis. In reality the horizontal distortion is very minor, so
with Quantum and the Major Havoc conversion boards they only fix the
"vertical" bow. (That's confusing-- by vertical bowing I mean a square
looking sorta like:)

\--------/
 \ /
 / \
/--------\

> Where exactly does this kit go? Above the deflection section of the
> main PCB, or on the deflection board of the WG monitor? If I knew, I
> might be able to figure out on my own if this kit is usable for
> Quantum.
> I'm about to carve up a plain end card (probably from Black Widow) to
> an Atari EM cage to translate from Space Duel to Quantum...maybe this
> is
> where I'd mount your kit?

Right now it sits on the PCB in question (I take inputs from pin 2 of
the LF13201's and lift one end of the 100ohm series output resistor of
the x-axis output). Once I have it working to my liking I'm going to
try to put a couple op-amps in front of it and take "monitor level"
inputs and see what happens. (My preference cause it'll then work for
things like Sega Vector games too...)

-Clay