RE: Wells Gardner "display corrector"...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 18:26:56 EST

> You wrote:
> > Right now it sits on the PCB in question (I take inputs from pin 2
> of
> > the LF13201's and lift one end of the 100ohm series output resistor
> of
> > the x-axis output).
>
> Ick! I'd rather it be a module that can plug into a conversion
> harness or
> regular wiring harness. I play multiple vector games in each cabinet.

I hear you Ray... ;-) I was tinkering around last night. (Burned the
hell out of my pinky too. Note to self: "don't test if TLO82 is wired
backwards by shoving little finger down on it real hard for 3 or 4
seconds.")

> Is this not doable??

It's do-able. The note above was just 'cause I was still tinkering with
it. I got it all working to my satisfaction last night. So right now
it has the following features:

* "pincushion" compensation for "amplifone" games like Star Wars and
Major Havoc
* center, linearity, width, and pincusion controls (I made it variable,
unlike the Atari one)
* bypass switch (especially for Ray, so you don't "display correct" a
display corrected game like Space Duel (starts looking really weird if
you do... ;-)

I might go ahead and add the Sega conversion stuff and just leave it
unpopulated in the kits to save $$$. You can populate it yourself if
you want. ;-)

The board doesn't actually "care" if it's used on the x or y axis (since
it's adjustable). So, for those of you that just HAVE to have perfectly
square boxes you can use two of them--one to correct the X and one to
correct the Y. I think most people would be hard-pressed to notice the
bow in horizontal lines...)

I'm thinking I might buy enough 1495's for 25 or so kits...

-Clay