Re: Vectorbeam Question

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 17:16:32 EST

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:23:55 -0800, "Ozdemir, Steve" <sso@dsc.com> wrote:

>G'day folks,
>
>I like Zonn's theory of old Vectorbeam stock being reused by Centuri
>after the remerge of Vectorbeam with Cinematronics. Sounds plausible to
>me....
>
>[ Fictitous story about two guys cleaning up the Vectorbeam building
>before they close it forever: ]
>
>George: "Hey, what are we going to do with the inventory? It's marked
>as 'working'."
>
>Harry: "I don't know...there isn't any room in San Diego. I know that
>for sure."
>
>George: "Hmmm...weren't we suppose to ship a bunch of motherboards off
>to Centuri next week?"
>
>Harry: "Hey! That's a good idea! I'll call the boss in San Diego...you
>make up the address labels."
>
>George: "But this stuff may not actually work."
>
>Harry: "Who cares? Let Centuri figure that out...we also don't have the
>spare capacity anywho in San Diego to supply Centuri really. They'll
>send back the broken ones and we can replace them later."
>
>OK, so I went a little off the deep end, but I've heard of weirder
>things than this. Does anyone know someone who worked at Cinematronics
>back then? That's who we should be trusting for accurate accounts about
>why there's a Vectorbeam in a Centuri version of a Cinematronics
>product!

That ex-tech Joe (who I believe you've met) was working there just about that
time. He's the one that told me about the old Vectorbeam stuff (It was a little
more official than your above scenario! ;^)

If you look in a lot of warriors you'll find a little daughter board that
allowed for the use of 2708s that were flooding the market cheap, in the C-CPU.
These were left over from the Vectorbeam merge.

He said they installed quite a bit of Vectorbeam stuff in the games that went
out. Nothing was wasted. The management was very cheap.

BTW: Joe (who used to repair the CCPU boards for a living) says the Vectorbeam
stuff was much better than the Cinematronics equivalents. They used better PCB
materials, and thicker metal in the monitor frames.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures