RE: Display Corrector update...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 19:43:19 EST

> They correct for linearity. Images are drawn bigger near the edge of
> a screen.
> They do a nice job on the Tempest setup screen, where you can setup a
> bunch of
> squares and adjust for any non-linearities the size of the squares.

Hmmmm. Well, I'll play with it more tonight. On a WG monitor none of
my (unmodified) Star Wars boardsets produce what I'd consider a "linear"
crosshatch pattern even with VDR's and x-lin pot adjustments. It's
tough to make an A/B comparison though since removing the VDR mid-test
results in a the image changing width and offset. Maybe I should make
one of these (without VDR and x-lin adjustment) and send it to an
impartial 3rd party to review the image quality? (Suggestions?)

(It could just be that the removal of the "bow" effect makes such a
difference that I don't notice any new linearity problems that are
introduced... and 4 or 5 hours of "stare at screen, tweak circuit,
stare at screen, repeat" probably numbs my objectivity. :-)

> When I start my attack on the Cinematronics color card I'll check out
> how they
> did this without using VDRs (they also had problems finding those
> things). They
> most likely used the non-linearity of a diode or transistor junction
> to adjust
> for the blooming.

I'd be interested to hear the results of any findings you may have.
Thanks Zonn.

-Clay