WG Color XY...

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 12:28:25 EST

Hey all,

        I had a really wierd thing happen to one of my tested-good WG
color XYs the other day....

        Here's the scenario: I've got a Tempest cocktail which is
playing blind, so I swap in this good monitor. I don't get a screen,
and after a couple of seconds, I hear a couple of snap-crackle-pops,
and I see a smoked resistor, and both deflection fuses are blown.

        I've been repairing this monitor over the past evening or
so. So far, I've had to replace ALL 4 power deflection transistors,
the smoked resistor, of course, and the HV board is bad (but I
haven't gotten around to troubleshooting it, yet.) I put another
HV cage in, and the monitor still isn't working perfecly, but it's
"limping" with a half-picture, and not blowing any fuses. Remember, this
was a previously tested-good (by me) monitor.

        I'm not too concerned about repairing the monitor -- I'll
get it done soon, but I'm wondering what could've caused it to tear
itself apart like that. I checked the outputs of the board, and they seem
reasonable (though not perfect.) I think I read like -3V DC on the
XY outputs, and I forget the AC reading (though it didn't trigger any
warning bells.) The deflection board on this monitor was equipped with
the "Input Protection Circuit." Some job it did.....

        Any ideas? Before I plug a monitor into a game, what
I look for on the XY outputs? I kinda thought those numbers that
I read were reasonable, but now I'm not so sure...

Joe