Re: Wells Gardiner vs Ampliphone

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 13:52:11 EST

You wrote:
> With this *all* this talk about Amplifones ... I have a question. What is
> the general opinion on there stability / longevity with a Wintron transformer
> installed? I have a few sets I am thinking of buying a trans for and cannot
> decide to go that route or locate some Wells...
>
> I guess it boils down to:
>
> Amplifone (w/ Wintron) VS. WG (w/ LV2000)

I'll echo this question.

I'm keen to restore my Star Wars to its original form (currently has a WG) but
am concerned about the reliability of the Ampliphone. Having an Ampliphone
tube with WG chassis won't quite cut it for a restoration, but it may be a
necessary compromise.

That being said, if someone wants to trade a working Ampliphone for a working
WG, give a holler ;-)

Ray