RE: Wells Gardiner vs Ampliphone

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 14:11:52 EST

> I'll echo this question.
>
> I'm keen to restore my Star Wars to its original form (currently has a
> WG) but
> am concerned about the reliability of the Ampliphone. Having an
> Ampliphone
> tube with WG chassis won't quite cut it for a restoration, but it may
> be a
> necessary compromise.

I'll add another factor for consideration. I've noticed (and a couple
other people have too) that the display quality of the WG seems to be
much better overall with the "Display Corrector" installed. (Chris and
Travis can probably vouch for me here.)

Theory: The rather large dot-pitch/shadow mask of the WG tube leads to
visible vertical (black) lines through any onscreen vectors. Since the
display corrector is "straightening" the lines on-screen, vertical lines
seem brighter and more continuous (horizontal lines don't have much
difference). This might contribute to some perception differences since
the display "quality" seems to improve much more than straightening out
some lines would explain. (And there isn't ANYTHING else that it's
doing.)

I have an Amplifone tube that I'm going to swap into the WG one of these
days and see how that looks by comparison. I bet that a better
flat-tube with a smaller shadow mask coupled with WG electronics and
Ander's LV2000 would probably yield Amplifone (or better) results.

BTW, has anyone ever tried a medium persistence tube on one of these
things? (Star Wars flickers quite a bit... ;-)

-Clay