Wells Gardiner vs Ampliphone

From: Ranger Mike <Mike_Ranger_at_dofasco.ca>
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 08:55:00 EST

Hi all, hoping you can help....
        A friend recently indicated that he knows of a star wars machine
for sale locally. It in some-ones recroom and in nice condition. So I
asked around and found some interest (hi Brendan). The question is,
what monitor is inside? So I have to ask the guy the question over the
phone.
        Now when I got my Gravitar, the monitor itself had no name on it
other than an atari part number, but beacause I also got the manual, I
know that it is a WG. After having fixed the monitor, I am now pretty
familiar with it, and can describe it. The Ampliphone , however, I have
no experience with(nor have I ever seen one, is that a good thing or a
bad thing?), and was wondering if there some "Slap you in the face"
physical feature I can ask the guy to determine the monitor make.
        The WG for instance has the familiar "metal cage" and all the
board numbers (324 etc..) are hard to see. Does the Ampliphone have the
cage? Any distiguishing features? Atari Part number?

Thanks in advance
        Mike