Re: vector trivIa

From: The Grigsbeast <grigsby_at_netgate.net>
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 00:58:22 EST

>Scott told me that when he left Cinematronics, someone decided Outpost should
>be a "Cute" game and it changed quite dramatically into.... Boxing Bugs.
>Outpost was loosely based on the idea of "reverse Star Castle" where you
>played the ship in the middle and were under attack - I don't think there
>were 3 rotating shields though (not THAT similar).

That makes total sense. The game as it exists made none. Let's examine
the three concepts in the game:

1) Cute
2) Bugs
3) Vector graphics

Also, the game plays incredibly quickly and would have NO appeal to the Ms.
Pac-Man crowd. It's actually a relatively fun twitch game, but the
attempts at cute intermissions (complete with wickedly out-of-tune square
wave music and incomprehensible two-frame vector cartoon animations) are
one of the ugliest atrocities I have ever witnessed.

PS: I don't think the full-size Battlezone had a screen surround with a
design on it. Mine, and the others I've seen, are just black cardboard to
hide the monitor brackets.

// grigs