Re: Showbiz Pizza order display

From: Timothy Ellis <coinop_at_telepath.com>
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 12:31:24 EST

>Has anybody ever seen the hardware for one of these? It isn't a vector
>game but I would be willing to bet that it had some hardware in common
>with the vector games we know, love and obsess over.

As a former tech for Showbiz, I had to look at the hardware many times. 8)

The setup consisted of:

Apple 2e computer, some with rom cards that held the custom software, some
with disk drives.
Composite video distribution amp.
Black and white ultra cheapo security monitors, which were rarely serviced.
This was the cause of the dimming/blooming when the display content
changed.

The flickering vector like rotation was due to the limitation of the video
card in the 2e.

On a side note, Chuck E Cheese lost a lawsuit for copying Showbiz, and as a
result Showbiz ended up with all remaining assets and rights to characters.
That's why almost all Showbiz stores are Chuck E Cheese, the
name/character change was an easy way to "freshen" the image. Whatever
they are doing now is working commercially, Showbiz PTT inc. supposedly had
thier best financial year ever in 96-97.

Man I miss those days of having 2 Dragon's lairs to keep alive, and all of
the other classics that I had there. I would probably still be there if
the games were.

Timothy Ellis aka SmashTV