Re: newbie question

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 01:49:02 EST

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, deep blue wrote:

> is this a familiar problem to anyone on this list? is it something as
> simple as a fuse or do i need to replace the whole screen perhaps? i have
> had advice to unsolder all the connections and then re-attach them, but
> the connections seem fine as far as i can tell, and i dont want to amplify
> any problem that might be otherwise easily solved.

        No to both. You don't need to replace your monitor, and it's
probably not just a bad fuse (although it could be at this point.)

        The fact that you said it was first intermittant leads me to
believe that it is a bad connection somewhere. The person who gave you
advice to touch up all the solder joints gave you good advice, as this is
what I'd try first....

        Another common culprit of this is the connections on the
High-Voltage diode becoming intermittant because of gunk, corrosion, etc.
OR, that whole HV diode could've failed.

        The diode that I'm talking about is between the flyback and the
anode of the picture tube. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then
you'd best not fool with your monitor yourself -- let someone else repair
it. You said that your local TV repair shop wouldn't touch it, so there
are a few people on this list who do repairs (I'm one of them) but
arrangements for this would be best discussed in private email.

        If you decide to repair it yourself, first read the
sci.electronics.repair FAQ at www.repairfaq.org, specifically the sections
that deal with TV repair, and how to discharge monitors safely.

Joe