Re: Oscilloscope Sale at Tech America

From: Mitchell Rohde <bovine_at_eecs.umich.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 23:53:05 EST

 I agree with your thoughts that the $30 meter of today is better than the
$7000 scope of 1961... but then again, I bet that tube scope will survive
 long after that $30 model has met the trash.. .:) hehehehe I'm a sucker
for an old tube model...

> As far as extra features, those are freebies because of newer technology.
> Having "features" is not a bad thing. My TV has Picture in Picture, all

 I totally agree with you that everything is smaller, cheaper faster,
better. But test equipment is not quite like your TV. TVs are truly
consumer electronics -- they manufacture them by them millions, market
differentiation is difficult as they all have everything now (size is
about the only factor), and so the price drops but the quality stays high.
Test equipment, on the other hand, has a very limited market (hey, grandma
doesn't own a scope) and therefor the prices stay high. It's a specialty
product. Tektronix doesn't reduce it's scopes to $150 even if they are
last year's model... why? because the market demand is not even a
sixteenth as elastic as the demand for televisions.

 Hey, I'm working on a paper about medical instrumentation and why
 smaller, cheaper, faster better is the way... so you are preaching to
the choir. But I am explaining why I am leary of the $250 scope that has
mucho features...

 Then again, for $250 it doesn't hurt that much to try! :)

Mitch