Tempest spinners

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Mon Mar 09 1998 - 12:38:25 EST

Hi all,

Just in case you are interested ...

I am going to do an experiment with my second Tempest spinner to replace
the two bushings with nice ball bearings for the ultimate in
smoothness! No more "BRRRRrrrrrr!" sound that we all know and love.
;-) I've been using the teflon grease for 2 years, and that works well,
but I want a more permanent solution.

Anyway, I measured the bushings and located ball bearings that are
almost suitable. I found a bearing with the same ID (0.25in), same
flange thickness (0.036in), but with a slightly larger OD (0.375 instead
of 0.315in). They are $4.25 each. All I need to do is bore out the
holes in the Tempest spinner, drop these in place, and I'll be in
business.

I ordered the bearings today, so I'll probably have them by Friday, and
I'll install them this weekend. If you are interested in any more
details because you want to do this for your own Tempest spinner, let me
know.

Joel-