Re: CineMenu update

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 13:08:08 EST

> > BTW, does anyone recall if Armor Attack has the extra bank-select
> >flipflop needed by Boxing Bugs? It'd be a bummer if that game requires
> >a board modification.
>
> I'm not sure what game you're referring to in the last sentence, Boxing Bugs or
> Armor Attack. Armor Attack uses the same hardware as Solar Quest which use a
> 16k banked address space. Boxing Bug needs 32k of banked memory and the banking
> register was moved off of the main board onto a daughter board that also held
> the ROMs.

Since upgrading an 8K game to a 16K game requires an extra chip on the main
board I thought Boxing Bugs might use the leftover flip-flop for the extra
address line :( It's been a while since I looked at the schematic for the
boxing bugs rom board. Since BB isn't popular anyway, maybe the multigame
should exclude that game - otherwise the daughter card would need the bank
select and extra wires running back to the main board <YUK>. OTOH if the
banking is moved up there, you can put the mod on just about any revision
of the board (Star Castle & RipOff come to mind).

Thanks,

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.