Re: CineMenu update

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 16:57:32 EST

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:05:26 -0800, Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>I'm voting for a generic sample-player board based on a cheap DSP. I'm
>inclined to use the Analog Devices 21xx series since they're cheap; have
>a $90 eval board with stereo autio in/out on it already; have a friendly
>assembly language; and basically make a 3-chip system (DSP, EPROM,
>CODEC). Just get good quality samples and let the DSP mix and play
>whatever is needed. The same design would work for Sega, Cinematronics,
>whatever... (Samples aren't the best, but if anyone was adventurous you
>have a 33MIP DSP at your disposal to do something better. ;-)

Hey, samples are as good as the source. If the sound board is generating 1 khz
square waves, there is nothing that says we couldn't synthesize these waves
using some simple software -- thereby remove all sampling artifacts, and then
feed that waveform to your hardware. The same could be said for any of the
sounds.

Some of the sounds get pretty complex and real sampling might be the best
approach.

There's nothing to keep us from starting with real samples and improving the
quality with software generated samples as time and manpower allows.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures