RE: CineMenu update

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 17:33:04 EST

> Hey, samples are as good as the source. If the sound board is
> generating 1 khz
> square waves, there is nothing that says we couldn't synthesize these
> waves
> using some simple software -- thereby remove all sampling artifacts,
> and then
> feed that waveform to your hardware. The same could be said for any
> of the
> sounds.

True. I think Joe was modeling the analog parts of the board in Spice to
get some "first generation".

> Some of the sounds get pretty complex and real sampling might be the
> best
> approach.

I agree. Neil Bradley has a nice digital recording studio-- I can
probably get in there with him to make some really good samples. (Noise
gated and pre-processed).

> There's nothing to keep us from starting with real samples and
> improving the
> quality with software generated samples as time and manpower allows.

Exactly. I've been fairly impressed with the stuff MAME is doing, and a
lot of that is just samples off actual hardware. No rule that says we
can't sample at 44.1KHz 16bit, and process the hell out of the data to
keep the noise floor and SNR good. The only thing that I was a little
concerned about being able to just sample from real hardware was
something like LFO background droning... That would have a really big
loop point and the timbre might change with frequency so it might be
hard to "accurately" reproduce. I was just going to start with the MAME
samples for the Sega stuff and see what I can do. As long as we can get
maybe 6-10 voices going (which should probably leave about 95% of the
ADSP2181 free ;-) we can always make/clean up samples later.

Actually, if there's much of any free DSP left we could probably run a
reverb or echo effect or two for some sweetener and make it sound really
cool. ;-)

(Ever notice that reverb chip in the Star Wars sound board?)

(Actually, even if there isn't enough DSP left, Yamaha sells a little
standalone reverb processor. Basically an integrated CODEC+DSP that
just does audio effects. Pretty cool.)

-Clay