RE: ISA Vector card already done...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 18:22:34 EST

> I've noticed the crappy vectors on asteroids too. Makes me wonder why
> anyone
> want's to make a DVG at all when a couple analog switches, resistors,
> and
> caps will make a perfectly good AVG that could even use serial DACs.
> Of course you'd want Cinematronics-style AVG since emulated Atari
> games
> could use it, but emulated Cinegames may have bad stability problems
> if
> you tried to use the Atari AVG (Atari AVG requires you to go to 0,0
> every
> so often or the integrator error will accumulate - Cinegames don't).

The AVG is kinda neat I must admit. Zonn will argue that the endpoints
of lines don't match up exactly. ;-) My original idea was to use a PIC
microcontroller as the vector-generator state-machine and have it
control the timing and control signals for an Atari-like AVG. BUT...
the alure of being able to do pin-cushion correction and complex curves
in DSP software has its appeal too. Plus, I can work on DSP stuff at
work and have it be pretty job related. ;-)

> Just me yappin'
>
> BTW, anyone tried the menu program yet (yes, I'm impatient :)

I put it on floppy last night and forgot the disk in my machine when I
left. :-( I made sure I have it with me now though. I'll try to fire
it up tonight!

-Clay