ISA Vector card already done...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 20:02:56 EST

...well, sorta. ;-)

http://www.rtsys.com/rt02003.htm

Has basically what I've been talking about. (an ADSP-2181 I/O mapped
into a PC ISA slot.) They have a connector for hooking up CODECs for
two-channel audio. I was going to buy one until I saw that the cards
are $500. :-( Too rich for my blood. I should be able to do one for
1/4th that much, maybe less...

It turns out that Eric Crabill (haven't heard from him in a LONG time)
did kinda-sort the same thing a couple years back in school. He used an
ADSP-2111 and a couple 16-bit D/A's hooked up to an Amiga. (The 2111
has a pre-cursor of the 2181's IDMA port on it.) Eric sent me his source
code for drawing lines (which he got from an older Analog Devices book)
so the project just got simpler. ;-)

I currently like the AD7249 D/A for the output stage. Dual Voltage
output, 12-bit serial, glueless interface to the DSP. Kinda spendy ($18
singles), but I'm in "screw the price, make it *DO* something" mode
now...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia System, Inc.