RE: ISA Vector card already done...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 18:27:33 EST

> Anyway, if that's all it takes, then why not do the exact same to this
> project in order to eliminate the high MIPS requirement (add low pass
> filtering on the output stage)? Yes, it adds harware, but it seems to
> make the whole idea more realistic since the price and availability of
> these candidate high power DSP chips was at question earlier.

That *does* work, but I'm under the impression it's a little
"unpredictable". If you have the color guns turned on and the beam
sitting at one point (A), then "jump" the beam to another point (B), the
beam will deflect to the new point as fast as the deflection amps allow
it. (slew rate) Couple gotcha's:

1) the settling of the deflection amps can make the line "squiggly" at
the end
2) the line might not travel in a completely straight line (a short
vertical deflection will reach "point B" faster than the long horizontal
deflection, so your "line" will be "L" shaped)
3) might be hard to control the brightness of the line-Clay

-Clay