Re: ISA Vector card already done...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 18:34:58 EST

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:55:04 -0500 (EST), Paul Kahler <phkahler@Oakland.edu>
wrote:

>Zonn said:
>> 6mhz staircase pattern you see on a 19" display. My guess is very few scopes
>> allow you to see this. Take a careful look at a finely focused 19" asteroid
>> game. It's more obvious a certain angle, but you can definitely see the digital
>> artifacts of the 6mhz sample rate of the DACs. Not nice and smooth like the
>> Cinematronics.
>
>I've noticed the crappy vectors on asteroids too. Makes me wonder why anyone
>want's to make a DVG at all when a couple analog switches, resistors, and
>caps will make a perfectly good AVG that could even use serial DACs.
>Of course you'd want Cinematronics-style AVG since emulated Atari games
>could use it, but emulated Cinegames may have bad stability problems if
>you tried to use the Atari AVG (Atari AVG requires you to go to 0,0 every
>so often or the integrator error will accumulate - Cinegames don't).

If I were to build an analog one, the Cinematronics is the way to go. An AVG
couldn't pull off a straight forward emulation of Asteroids or most, if not all
the Cinematronics games. Still I can never get those lines to match at all
angles...

I think the biggest deal about the Asteroids vectors were it problem with
drawing different angles at different speed causing different brightness at
different times. A pretty easy fix if software were being used to draw the
line.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically