Re: Cinemenu round 2!

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 13:14:58 EST

> 1) Hey! There's a screen full of text! *yay!*
> 2) Hey! It looks like my first try with the Sega Menu system! ;-)
> *Hmmmmm*

Nope, never saw your Sega Menu :-) I just knew I couldn't display all the
games and move a pointer around. The "useless" text was to balance the
display and prevent spot killing.

But Clay, you never said if you could select different games... Well? Or
were you correct in saying your inputs don't work (hardware problem). If
thats the case, I need another tester Mark! Also, is the LED off now?
(Zonn, I'm reseting WDTimer *once* and doing 2 WAIs) If it resets, the
game will revert to AA.

Since a space has no lines, it doesn't move the beam around at all, so I'll
add a delay at the start of the string drawing routine. I'm wondering how
much time it's actually taking to draw this stuff - What if I set the
intensity bit to bright after drawing the text until the next frame. Then
someone (Clay?) could check the duty cycle to see what % of the CPU time
it's using. May as well gather some data while were at it :-)

As for DC offset, I wondered if that was an issue, so I tried to keep
things somewhat semetric. I'll put asterisks around "MULTIGAME" and take
them off Cinematronics to balance them better. The drawing order is:
Cinematronics, Multigame, Select, GameName - I thought it might be a good
idea not to just go from top to bottom (not sure why). I was a bit scared
when Clay said the first rev was only drawing at the top... Then again,
I'm not sure I buy that whole DC thing - as long as you exorcise all 4
transistors, each one will have a rest.

Zonn, Hows this Solar Quest theory: The game draws all the ships first
durring a frame, and the star last (which may degause a little). If there
are more ships to one side, the star would be drawn to that side, when a
ship suddenly wraps around to the other side, there is a distinct "snap"
in the star position. Of course you can test this by noticing if the
snap coincides with a ship changing sides... I've never seen the game, just
speculating.

Thanks, on to rev3...

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.