RE: Cinemenu, part 3

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 30 1998 - 20:21:57 EST

> Version 1 had step 4 before step 2. When you said the asterisk and C
> were
> a little goofy I made this change to give more settling time.

Seems to have worked nicely. Looks great!

> > I didn't mess with the controls at all (didn't plug 'em in).
> Assuming I
> > have a working PCB, should they do anything with the RipOff
> controls?
>
> If I can read schematics correctly today it looks like it's mapped to
> player one left in Rip Off. Quick check... Emulator cfg file says the
> same thing.

Ok, I'll mess with it. :-)

> As for debugging what you've got, I'd check for activity on:
> pin 15 of C4 - this is the entry into TTL (push the button)
> pin 9 of A6 - should pulse twice per frame (26ms) as the menu polls
> pin 5 of C4 - when you press the button
> pin 10 of A6 - when you press the button
> pin 8 of F6 - when...
> Do you have schematics?
> BTW, if ripoff could read DIPs it's probably C4.

I think I have Armor Attack schematics and Space War stuff somewhere.
That'll be good enough for me. Thanks for the pointers. I'll try to
get the board powered up with enough room to probe around.

> > low - 7.4ms
> > high - 18.8ms
> >
> > Onscreen 'scope cursors are your friend. ;-)
>
> That's really cool! So it uses about 72% of the CPU time to display
> 4 lines of text (or is that 28% no...) It also tells us that each
> frame
> is 26.2ms +/- twice the error of your measurement. Our emulator runs
> with
> 26ms frames, the schematics were labeled 26.5.

The measurement should be pretty accurate. I was using one of the
little portable Tektronix digital scopes from work, so the error should
be about +-1 pixel worth of time (dunno what that is off the top of my
head). Well, I just grabbed the scope again, so I'll do a long capture
and find out for sure how long it is...

> > Let me know if I should try to debug my input section and try out
> the
> > inputs (or if RipOff had different control mappings).
>
> Go for it. If by chance you can select games....
[...]
Ok, I'll give it a shot tonight. (I'll try to resist the temptation of
digging through all my stuff from Great Western... ;-)

> BTW Clay, I reqested e-mail confirmation on my MAX502 samples and
> haven't
> heard anything yet (that was friday). How long do they take?

Ummmm, they always seem pretty fast to me. Maybe 3-5 days? They come
in the mail. Then you'll get little Maxim literature packets in your
mailbox every week for the rest of your life... Small price to pay for
free DACs. ;-)

> And so the CineMenu software works well. Anyone heard from Mark S ???

Good question! I'm ready to buy a multigame, Mark! *grin*

-Clay