FS/TRADE HP 5004A Signature Analyzer

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 11:25:08 EST

I have an extra HP 5004A Signature Analyzer that I'm not likely to need
any time soon. I would like to either sell it, or trade it for
something video game related.

This unit has two issues with it that decrease it's value somewhat..

1) The case for the probe is missing. That is to say, that normally a
plastic cylinder forms the probe, and it contains a circuit board with
some electronics on it. The electronics and all cabling is there, but
the actual cyclindrical case is missing. I bought it this way, and have
no idea why it was removed. Also, the pointy screw-on tip is missing.
So, just a threaded stud exists as the probe end. You'd want to fix
that.

2) Those nifty little mini grabbers are missing. You don't NEED them,
but you need something like them. The pod has 4 wires that come out of
it that need to be connected to various points on your PCB that you're
testing. These grabbers attach via friction fit to the pod wires.
Anyway, you could solder mini grabbers to these wires, and you'd be all
set.

Aside from that, the unit is fine.

For those who don't know, this unit is used to troubleshoot many of our
games, but it's especially useful for debugging Atari mathboxes, and
Cinematronics games. (Hence, I'm offering this in our vector list
rather than RGVAC/M. I hope you don't mind.)

I do not have a manual for this piece. However, you don't really need
one to operate it, because all the schematics that have signature
analysis codes tell you how to setup the analyzer anyway, so there's
nothing left up to the imagination. :-)

I'd like $50 for it, or trade me for something neat, or make me an
offer.

Joel-

BTW, any chance that someone here has "processor pods" for an HP 1630G
logic analyzer? I visited the Baltimore, MD flea this past weekend, and
it was good to me. I came home with this analyzer for $175. Replaced
one cap, and one bridge rectifier and the best came to life. It took me
a while to get this thing apart. It's built like a TANK! 2 hours
later, the thing was back together and running. Anyway, I learned that
HP sold processor pods so that you could dissasemble the code for a
particular processor as it's running. COOL! I will have to wait until
the Dayton, OH hamfest if all else fails.. ;-)