Re: FS/TRADE HP 5004A Signature Analyzer

From: James Marous <jamesm_at_erinet.com>
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 12:11:48 EST

Joel Rosenzweig wrote:

> I have an extra HP 5004A Signature Analyzer that I'm not likely to need
> any time soon. I would like to either sell it, or trade it for
> something video game related.
>
> This unit has two issues with it that decrease it's value somewhat..
>
> 1) The case for the probe is missing. That is to say, that normally a
> plastic cylinder forms the probe, and it contains a circuit board with
> some electronics on it. The electronics and all cabling is there, but
> the actual cyclindrical case is missing. I bought it this way, and have
> no idea why it was removed. Also, the pointy screw-on tip is missing.
> So, just a threaded stud exists as the probe end. You'd want to fix
> that.
>
> 2) Those nifty little mini grabbers are missing. You don't NEED them,
> but you need something like them. The pod has 4 wires that come out of
> it that need to be connected to various points on your PCB that you're
> testing. These grabbers attach via friction fit to the pod wires.
> Anyway, you could solder mini grabbers to these wires, and you'd be all
> set.
>
> Aside from that, the unit is fine.
>
> For those who don't know, this unit is used to troubleshoot many of our
> games, but it's especially useful for debugging Atari mathboxes, and
> Cinematronics games. (Hence, I'm offering this in our vector list
> rather than RGVAC/M. I hope you don't mind.)
>
> I do not have a manual for this piece. However, you don't really need
> one to operate it, because all the schematics that have signature
> analysis codes tell you how to setup the analyzer anyway, so there's
> nothing left up to the imagination. :-)
>
> I'd like $50 for it, or trade me for something neat, or make me an
> offer.
>
> Joel-
>
> BTW, any chance that someone here has "processor pods" for an HP 1630G
> logic analyzer? I visited the Baltimore, MD flea this past weekend, and
> it was good to me. I came home with this analyzer for $175. Replaced
> one cap, and one bridge rectifier and the best came to life. It took me
> a while to get this thing apart. It's built like a TANK! 2 hours
> later, the thing was back together and running. Anyway, I learned that
> HP sold processor pods so that you could dissasemble the code for a
> particular processor as it's running. COOL! I will have to wait until
> the Dayton, OH hamfest if all else fails

Hi Joel,
      I might be interested, what would you like to trade?? I have
quite a few boards and other pieces laying around, send me a want list
and I will see what I can do for you. I might also consider just buying
it outright from you, let me know what works best for you. Just
curious, you mentioned Hamfest in Dayton, I live in Springfield, OH, not
far away, just curious where you are.

                        Thanks
                                James

--