StarWars Power supply question

From: TomW <twisnion_at_enteract.com>
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 14:56:33 EDT

Gang,

    Have a question for you:

I am restoring a starwars that was missing the power transformer assembly
from the bottom of the cab. The game has an ampliphone monitor and I have a
wintron flyback in stock to repair it so I would rather keep the
ampliphone....

So now here's the question. The original transformer drove the ampliphone
monitor at 50VCT, I have several transformers from asteroids etc, but they
put out 65VCT for the monitor. Now as I look at the monitor schematics, the
HV section has its own regulators to drop it down to (If I remember right)
+24,-24VDC so, I should be ok their. But, the deflection circuit draws from
the unregulated +25,-25 VDC sections of the rectified 50VCT seconday's,
which would now be around 32VDC with the asteroids supply. This variance is
way out of spec for the ampliphone, which I think was %5 on the + going
side, and %10 on the neg., and I'm afraid I'd fry the deflection circuit in
the ampliphone... Any recommended modification to the deflection board ???

Also this would lead me to believe that putting a non-ampliphone monitor in
a SW would result in the monitor being under-driven, which I guess is
compensated by turning up the XY gain on the game board, but as your AC
line fluctuates your monitor could waver. But since no-one has ever
mentioned it, maybe the electrohomes have a better tolerance for this type
of thing.

Any suggestions......

Thanks
TomW