Re: Atari BW XY Power followup question!

From: Tom Cloud <computerspace_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 16:11:44 EDT

Hi all,

This is my first posting to the mail list, but since I know the
inside of my Battlezones pretty well, I thought I'd throw something
out here as well.

In the message I'm replying to, it is mentioned that BZ only uses/has
4 fuse taps off of the power supply. Will, I have 2 BZ's and one has
4 taps and one has 5 of them. The one with 5 uses them all. I thought
this was somewhat strange, but I didn't investigate why it was that
way. I believe that the BZ with 5 is an older cab than the one that
is using 4 lines. I'm making an assumption here that one could have
either types of power supplies in their BZ's.

Just a thought.

I enjoy this maillist, lots of good information here without the
flames!

Regards,
Tom Cloud

>From owner-vectorlist@spies.com Wed Apr 15 12:24:42 1998
>Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:15:43 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mitchell Rohde <bovine@eecs.umich.edu>
>To: vectorlist@spies.com
>cc: TomW <twisnion@enteract.com>
>Subject: Atari BW XY Power followup question!
>Sender: owner-vectorlist@spies.com
>CC: Mitchell Rohde <bovine@eecs.umich.edu>
>

> Following up on this, the BW transformer assembly is NOT the same for
all
> BW XY Atari games. The Battlezone and Asteroids assembly, though they
>look alike, are not. The asteroids uses all 5 fuses on the block, and
>battlezone uses 4. More significantly, the taps (if I remember
correctly)
>are like 30-0-30 on one and 40-0-40 on the other.
>
> Last time I checked the tolerances in the G-05 monitor spec basically
>indicated that the asteroids assembly pushes the +-X% limits of the
G05.

> Of course, you guys have more experience than I in swapping things in
and
>out. Comments?
>
> Mitch
>
>On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, TomW wrote:
>
>> Gang,
>>
>> Have a question for you:
>>
>> I am restoring a starwars that was missing the power transformer
assembly
>> from the bottom of the cab. The game has an ampliphone monitor and I
have a
>> wintron flyback in stock to repair it so I would rather keep the
>> ampliphone....
>>
>> So now here's the question. The original transformer drove the
ampliphone
>> monitor at 50VCT, I have several transformers from asteroids etc, but
they
>> put out 65VCT for the monitor. Now as I look at the monitor
schematics, the
>> HV section has its own regulators to drop it down to (If I remember
right)
>> +24,-24VDC so, I should be ok their. But, the deflection circuit
draws from
>> the unregulated +25,-25 VDC sections of the rectified 50VCT
seconday's,
>> which would now be around 32VDC with the asteroids supply. This
variance is
>> way out of spec for the ampliphone, which I think was %5 on the +
going
>> side, and %10 on the neg., and I'm afraid I'd fry the deflection
circuit in
>> the ampliphone... Any recommended modification to the deflection
board ???

>> Also this would lead me to believe that putting a non-ampliphone
monitor in
>> a SW would result in the monitor being under-driven, which I guess is
>> compensated by turning up the XY gain on the game board, but as your
AC