RE: Cinematronics/Sega universal sound board...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 17:40:18 EDT

> At first glance this does seem to be an elegant solution to the
> simpler
> sounds. I question how well it would handle continuous shifting
> background sounds like in Star Castle. But hey, if the solution even
> handles 2/3's of Cinematronics sounds that alot closer than we are now
> to a universal sound board!

Yeah, any of those long filter/frequency sweep sounds are hard to do
with samples. You could do it with a low-rate sample (maybe switch the
6295 to 8KHz mode with an I/O line), but you'd probably get pops on the
loop point since you have to tell the 6295 to "play" the sample over and
over at the right rate.

Still though, I agree-- if I could have the vast majority of sounds for
a multigame with a single ~$30 card I'd probably be willing to overlook
any little "inaccuracies". ;-) I might try to get a quote on the
6295...

-Clay