RE: MC1495's

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 19:59:03 EDT

Well, they only had 60 coming in and I bought 50 of those. I got 'em
for $1.25 a pop? Maybe $1.21? Shipping added on of course.

I'm a little confused by the whole situation. According to the Motorola
Databooks the MC1495 was only produced in "MC1495D" (SOIC) and "MC1495L"
(ceramic DIP). I asked if they were showing up as obsolete in the
system or not and "Heidi" told me they weren't. On the other hand, if
you go to the Motorola webpage the MC1495 is *gone* now. Looks like
there's a MC1494 (which I'd never noticed before). Dunno if it's close
or not.

Only other manufacturer I've ever seen for the 1495 was SGS.

Anyway, I'm expecting the display corrector proto-boards tomorrow. I'm
trying to get some MC1495D's directly from Motorola to populate those.
(I only have a few 1495D's right now.)

I need to figure out if it's cheaper to buy the surface-mount parts from
Newark and use the PCB's I get, or just do a new run of boards and eat
the cost of these first proto's... I suppose I can always use 'em in my
own games and for a few people on the list that wanted a PCB to play
with.

(Well, if nothing else, I'll definately wait to *see* these MC1495P's in
my hands before I change anything. Might be a screw-up. The price
looks way to low to be right. Maybe it's EOL and this is the life-time
buy on the part....)

-Clay