Re: Storing / Compressing schematic scans (slightly off topic)

From: Anders Knudsen <anders_knudsen_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 09:22:17 EDT

At 12:39 AM 5/15/98 +0000, Zonn wrote:
>This might be of interest to those on this list who maintain archives of
>schematic scans.
>It only works with .BMP format files (they are by *far* the easiest to read,
and
>since they're is no bi-color compression already implemented in the .BMP
format,
>I don't have to worry about decompressing the image before re-compressing
it).
>It's lossless compression so the decompressed file is identical to the
original.
>I've also add mucho CRC32 checking so that downloads can be immediately
checked
>for errors.

This sounds good if you are archiving scans for storage. However, if you are
trying to make scans quickly available for viewing, then jpeg (lossy) or
gif(lossless) is probably the best way to go. It is less convenient if the
user
has to run a separate decompression before viewing.
Just out of curiosity, Zonn, have you taken an original image, and compared
compressed file sizes between your code, jpeg, and gif? That would be
interesting to see. (If you have an image to try, I have Adobe Photoshop, and
can do the jpeg and gif compression for you.)
...just me 2 cents...
-anders.