Re: i can't win...

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat May 16 1998 - 18:15:40 EDT

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Al Kossow wrote:

> "Hows-about adding a link to someone that has appropriate software for
> the decompression side?? (just asking)"
>
> Graphic Converter for the Mac is what I used to create the files, so it
> works fine. If someone has a pointer to something in the DOS world, i'd
> be happy to add it

        Ditto for the UNIX world. "Old reliable" tifftopnm doesn't
seem to work. I get errors like:

4pFB1A.TIFF: Fax3Decode2D: Bad 2D code word at scanline 73.

        Which I assume means that tifftopnm can't handle this new
compression scheme.

        xv does read the files, but they look and print horrible. xv
was never good at printing stuff anyway.

        I just spent a few hours wading through the results of an
Alta Vista search, and I didn't really turn up any suitable utilities
to do this for UNIX.

Joe