RE: Sega Star Trek & HP manuals

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed May 20 1998 - 12:23:47 EDT

> Well - I'm now a card carrying member of the vectorlist with my
> purchase of a fixer-upper Sega G80 game.

Congrats! Good choice...

> I'm currently repairing Sega Star Trek, and figuring out exactly how
> the speech board works. This is being done in conjuction with
> simulating the SP0250 speech chip. If this is successful, it will be
> possible to change the speech content for new or modified G80 games.

Yay! :-) Travis Hagen and I were working on a new game a while back.
We needed speech though. ;-) (Travis is a much better artist-type than
I am, so he was doing all the graphics and some concpet stuff...)

> Right now I'm still at square one with the repair - the game looks
> complete, but I get no game sounds. I get the intermittent white dot
> on the screen. I still need to check the obvious things, like the
> power
> supplies. Since I'm still feeling lucky, are there any Sega
> Multi-game
> kits left? I hope I'll need one soon ;)

Yep, check the power supplies. Do you have an o'scope? If so, I'd just
disconnect the monitor and sound/speech board and remove the card-cage
and run it off a PC-switching power supply to get started. I little
more portable/accessable than inside a G-80 cabinet... You can also
unscrew the "backplane" from the card cage and put that on your desk and
just plug the card into that so you can probe everything without having
it inside the RFI cage...

I've got about a dozen or so Multigames left-- just built up a couple
more for a couple people I still owe. I'll start another one just in
case you're successful... ;-)

-Clay