re:JEDEC File decoding

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_nortel.ca>
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 11:53:00 EDT

In message "JEDEC File decoding", Kev <mowerman@erols.com> writes:

> I have a JED file on disk, can this be converted to a logic gate
> equivalent?

Yes.

Altera has a program on their BBS (I would hope it would be on the
web by now) for doing just that. I haven't messed with it in a few
years, but they probably still have it. Here's the deal; if they
knew what you wanted, they probably wouldn't help you. They didn't
write the program for your intended purpose. However, if you have an
older design with a bunch of smaller programmable logic on it and want
to do a recycle using *their* modern parts, their program will let you take
a bunch of older JEDs and automatically build a map for a newer
higher density part. Their system has a few different utilities for
accomplishing this. One, the cool one, will take a fuse map in JED
format and reverse it into equations (just in case you lost the
source file). I would assume that other programmable logic companies
have versions as well.

One note. Run the utility off floppy, it has a few bugs and I've
had it fill my entire file system. LMK how it turns out or if you
have any other questions.

Cheers,
Mark