Re: Cleaning boards

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 12:29:06 EDT

On Fri, 29 May 1998 08:28:19 -0600, Anders Knudsen
<Anders_Knudsen@btc.adaptec.com> wrote:

>At 09:29 AM 5/29/98 -0400, Joel wrote:
>>I've used nothing exotic and get great results with soap and warm
>>water. I've also used spray on 409 for really grungy stuff that the
>>force of the water didn't take off on its own. Sometimes, I've resorted
>>to using a toothbrush to help brush the grime away.
>>
>>I've cleaned all my Wells Gardners and Ampliflames with this technique,
>>and have been very happy with the results.
>>
>>Of course, drain off the water, and let them air dry before even
>>thinking about turning them on again. I let them sit overnight.
>>

>I have used the same sort of method that Joel describes. I spray (soak) the
>board with 409 -- that loosens up all the dirt. They I take the board
>outside and hose it down with water. All the dirt and 409 rinses off!
>Then I let it dry overnight or maybe a couple of days. It works great. I
>have done this with all my XY monitors -- including the tube! Makes them
>look brand new.

I agree with all the above, all the components are hermetically seal and soap
and water is not going to hurt them.

I do remove the brightness control from Cinematronics monitor boards before I
hose them down, and it might be a good idea to either remove (or at least place
a piece of tape over) the trim pots the might be on a board.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures