Omega Race: Not Just a Hobby. A Carreer.

From: William A. Nerini <wnerini_at_slewpy.drf.com>
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 12:02:28 EDT

Well, this is definitely a dead machine. Since this is my first Project
Box(machine), I'll put the call out for all the help folks want to offer.
I'll have pics of the machine and it's parts on my website tonight or
tomorrow.(5/30/98).

Here's My First Impressions.

Plug it in, Turn it on... Nothing, Nada, Zip. The power supply makes no
noise, nothing lights or heats up.
There is a Fuse missing on the Linear Power Supply board, but I would think
that the power supply itself
would at least react.

While The Ni-Cad Battery is Getting Corroded, It hasn't dripped on any of
the motherboard parts. The Motherboard has several (suspiciously PROM
sized) sockets empty. The MB is also a _TINY_ bit warped. otherwise all the
PC boards look good.

The Monitor. Well, the "Black-Light" test of it unpowered shows a ton of
screen burn, so I'll probably have to replace that. There's also on
connector coming from the monitor that isn't connected to anything.
Basically, I'm familiar with PC boards and such, but have never worked with
monitors, so I'm not sire if the damn thing is even complete. I'll post
pictures, and maybe I can get some advice.

The rest of the machine(cabinet, controls, marquee etc.) is in great shape.
 I've got a nice array of tools,a multi-meter, etc.

What _am_ I asking for. A lot of advice, and suggestions. I'll need some
advice on what(everything?) to replace re-pair.and some questions right up
front:

Are Randy Fromm's tapes etc good? Can they provide good information related
to Omega Race?

Are the Omega Race power supplies somehow really unique, or can a standard
power supply be adapted?

If I need to replace the monitor, can one be obtained at a resonable price?
Where can one be obtained?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide. I've been wanting
to get into re-habilitating machines for a couple of years. This is like a
big adventure to me.

Thanks,
Will

PS. Yes, I'm trying to get a manual, and have the schematics.