Re: Omega Race: Not Just a Hobby. A Carreer.

From: Dave Turner <david_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 20:14:32 EDT

I decided to buy the tapes from Randy Fromm. I got the first three
(thought I would start at the beginning). Since I am quite the novice, I
got "Using a digital multimeter", "Beginning Electronics for Operators"
and "Basic Video Game Troubleshooting".

As for a review of the tapes, I was not very impressed. In fact, except
for just a few tips, I consider them a waste of my money. If the tapes
were $9.99 or something, they would be great.

The multimeter tape was good. Just what it said, but too much money for
the information provided. The Electronics tape was a disappointment. All
that time and he goes over and over and over and over the SAME
(sometimes useless) point. This tape could have been 20 minutes. And
after watching it all, I didn't come away with anything more than what I
could read in the first chapter of an intro to electronics. The
troubleshooting had a few points in it of use, including adjusting power
supplies and a simple IC test. But again, not worth the money. The
information conveyed could have been done in 15 minutes or less.

Don't get me wrong, even after the tape disappointment, I really respect
Randy. You can tell that he really knows what he is doing and is
probably a great game tech. He is also a very nice guy from what I have
seen. But unless the later tapes are MUCH MUCH better, I think it's a
waste of money. I won't be ordering any more tapes but I still might
spring for his book, but not very soon.

Bottom Line: The first three tapes are NOT recommended. Oh, by the way,
does anyone want to buy some Arcade School tapes cheap? <grin>

--
My favorite Internet Lottery. I actually won! Check it out!
http://www.pluslotto.com/default.asp?urlref=3300007572503