Re: Asteroids add-on board

From: Doug Jefferys <djeffery_at_multipath.com>
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 09:02:24 EDT

Once upon a time, Kgowland@aol.com wrote:

> Hey guys, I have one of those boards. I found it in a machine but it was not
> installed. Funny thing is that I was going to ask about it tonight...weird.
> Anyways, it looks like a timer that speeds up gameplay based on time rather
> than level.

Hmm, looking back at Al's rate multiplier comments, and thinking about
the LS161, suppose it's a counter, and the switches are geared to speed
things up after the increments are passed.

IIRC, there's a software-readable counter in Asteroids. Might come
from the same LS161 that triggers the NMI. Might have something to
do with that. What components are on this beast? (I'm curious that
it plugs into a DIP switch, which tells me that the setting is being
read by software. Are there ROM modifications on the Asteroids board
that go with the daughterboard?)

Later,
Doug.

--