Re: Redesign of boards...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 14:09:43 EDT

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:41:16 -0700 , Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>> (On a tangent to the "Run Lunar Lander on Asteroids" thread - as cool
>> as it sounds, keep in mind that if you carry the logic too far, you
>> end
>> up with a 500-game "software-switchable multigame" running on a
>> P200MMX
>> with 64M and a 6.4G hard drive :-)
>>
>Yeah, that thinking was behind my wanting to do an ISA (or PCI, Al ;-)
>card that was just a vector generator. So, you could basically hook up
>a PC to a Wells Gardner (for example) vector monitor and run emulated
>vector games on a real vector display.

I *like* this idea! Then we could colorize the old Cinematronics games!

>(With a sufficiently fast PC I
>bet you could do some path analysis on the vector display list and sort
>each frame for shortest draw time so you could run "fast" vector games
>(like Sega stuff) on a WG monitor...)

Or just put a slight delay to allow the WG to catchup, you probably wouldn't
even notice a thing, it would just extend the drawing time slightly towards the
end of the 1/40 second refresh of the Sega games. I imagine there is some dead
time at the end of each refresh, before the screen starts to redraw that could
take up the slack.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically