RE: Redesign of boards...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 13:41:16 EDT

> (On a tangent to the "Run Lunar Lander on Asteroids" thread - as cool
> as it sounds, keep in mind that if you carry the logic too far, you
> end
> up with a 500-game "software-switchable multigame" running on a
> P200MMX
> with 64M and a 6.4G hard drive :-)

Yeah, that thinking was behind my wanting to do an ISA (or PCI, Al ;-)
card that was just a vector generator. So, you could basically hook up
a PC to a Wells Gardner (for example) vector monitor and run emulated
vector games on a real vector display. (With a sufficiently fast PC I
bet you could do some path analysis on the vector display list and sort
each frame for shortest draw time so you could run "fast" vector games
(like Sega stuff) on a WG monitor...)

> ObVector:
> ...my old Gravitar <-> Black Widow hack. I forgot, in the first rev
> of the docs, that one of the sockets (L7) is wired for a 2716, not a
> 2532. Any attempt to plug the "vector ROM" daughterboard into that
> particular socket will result in a very confused machine. The other
> three sockets, of course, are fine, but my docs implied that it could
> be in any of the four sockets. Oops. My bad.

Good to know! I was actually going to try this sometime for my mutoid
Gravitar/BW machine. (One side is Gravitar sideart, the other is Black
Widow. ;-)

-Clay