Re: FS Tempest on eBay

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Jun 23 1998 - 14:09:37 EDT

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:27:28 -0400, "Eddie Pettit" <epettit@erols.com> wrote:

>IMHO, it's a perfect on topic post. A vector game for sale on a vector
>list. But hey that's just me.

Of course it's on topic! All good advertising is! Posting to vectorlist is an
*ideal* place to place an ad!. Knowing that most people who are interested in
vector games, subscribe to vectorlist, what better place to post!

If it does what it's intended to do, it will increase the number of bidders, and
drive up the price of the game, and the poster will make more money. That's
what advertising is.

And selling game through on auction is very worthwhile endeavor for someone
trying to make a living, or just a hobbyist trying to make some money on the
side.

But how does any of it help out the readership of vectorlist? They've paid more
for a game than they might otherwise have? They've learned about a game that
they might not already have known about? Unlikely since anyone savvy enough to
subscribe to the mailing will probably know about RGVAC/M (If not, they do now!)

I see it like an advertisement for a Ford in a car magazine, except it's not
paid for... spam.

The car magazine is a blatant attempt at drawing an audience of like minded
individuals in order for the advertisers to get the most payback for their ads.

The original vectorlist was created for technical discussions, and new ideas
related to vectorlist. This was Al's opening message:

>I think I have this set up correctly now.
>I've created an automated mailing list for people interested
>in the technical aspects of vector games called vectorlist@spies.com.
>and specifying a command in the message body.

Nothing about FS, FA, FT, post.

And of course all dictatorial power has now shifted to Paul, and it's his
decisions we live by or unsubscribe.

I look at vectorlist like reading a tech journal *without* having to sift
through the ads. If I want to buy something, there are many places to
post/read. Mailing list for the most part have been very nice "no spam zones",
maybe the only ones left on the net.

On the other hand I don't see things like Clay's multigames, Anders LV2000's and
Joe's Cinematronics Exercisors clones being in the "spam" category. These very
obviously help the vectorlist readership, even if they make a profit for the
sellers (which appears to me, they don't). As are posts that are *way* under
market value, in order to keep a game/part in the collecting community.

-Zonn

(I wonder how Al feels about being quoted "As the Founding Father" ;^)

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures
  / ---/ // \\ //\\ // zonn @ zonn . com