Amplifone jitters

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Tue Jun 23 1998 - 16:56:38 EDT

Has anyone had a problem with their Amplifone jittering? What did you
do to solve it?

Last October, I rebuilt an HV board with a WinTron and a cap kit, and
rebuilt the deflection board with a cap kit, minus the deflection
transistors.

All has been working well until last week. I now notice that I get
screen jitter, most noticeable at the top and bottom of the screen.
These areas seem to jump about 1 in, up and down. The jitter is not
constant. For a time, there will be jitter, then no jitter, then jitter
again. It doesn't seem to go away as the machine warms up.

I have some things to check, but I thought I'd ask, just in case someone
has a really good guess right off the top of their heads.

This monitor is in a Star Wars game, and I've never replaced that 10K
resistor on the AVG board mentioned in the FAQ. That says something
about replacing this part if you experience jitter. However, I have no
reason to believe that this part has suddenly failed ...

I'll stick the game on the scope in order to check for sure, but I'm
still more inclined to think it's a monitor problem.

Anyone have some ideas of where to target?

Loose ground wire, bad caps, possible deflection transistor problem,
etc?

Joel-