Re: Unstable vectors on tempest

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 18:23:01 EDT

David Shoemaker (Comforce/RhoTech) wrote:

> I have a tempest boardset where the vectors are VERY unstable. They shimmy
> and shake around up to 1" from there draw location.
>
> The power supply is fine. Monitor is fine. The math box board is fine.
>
> I assume something wrong in the DAC section out but don't really know where
> to start.
>
> Ideas?

Look for broken off caps. I have seen the tall green (polyester?)slim
ones break off very easy since they stand up higher than most other
components and Atari didn't seem to leave any spare lead space when they
soldered them to the boards, if they get bent over more than about 45
degrees they will snap off. I don't know reference numbers off hand but
they are very close to the DAC's.
  Good Luck.
    jess