Re: Help w/identifying Sega XY boards...

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 10:04:15 EDT

On Jul 12, 11:46am, sickgear@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Subject: Help w/identifying Sega XY boards...
> Hey all,
>
> I came across a couple "cans" of Sega boards... the trouble is, some are XY
and some aren't, but
> they are all mixed together. So far, I think I've picked all the "space
odyssey" boards out, but
> am left with some questions.
>
> According to the Sega XY page, a CPU board using the 315-0064 "special chip"
would either be
> Star Trek or Space Fury; however, the ROM at U25 on my board is 1778. This
doesn't work with
> the Space Fury or Star Trek ROM ID as posted on the page. Also, the ROMs on
the EPROM board are
> labled 1779-1802, which again, doesn't fit with the names of the Star Trek or
SF roms I've come
> across.

According to my list, what you have there is a Monster Bash ROM board, and a
Monster Bash CPU EPROM, but the security chip is wrong. Possibly whoever you
got the boards from at one time tried to swap in a working CPU from another
game, not knowing about the differences in security chips.

> There's also a "meatball" soundboard, but for all I know it belongs to Space
Odyssey. The other
> two cards are the XY timing and XY control.

The "meatball" soundboard is for Eliminator.

> So, any clues as to what I'm dealing with? I'd kinda like to have some idea
before I start trying
> to fire this stuff up!

Some games had a few different software revisions. The best thing to do to
verify what you have is to archive the data and compare it to the EPROM data on
the arcade ROM data homepage (anyone have the URL for it?).

Sega XY FAQ author /_/|_| /_/ /____/_/|_|
________________ The One and Only 4-player vector game