RE: Cat Box

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 12:00:05 EDT

> > 1 CAT Box replacement PLD (It looks like this will only
> > fit on a MACH 435 or MACH 465 part and Newark lists MACH 435s
> > for like $65 a piece.)

Newark sucks, IMHO. The 435-15JC (I assume you want PLCC) is like $30
 from Marshall. Arrow and Hamilton will probably be the same.

> Sounds kinda pricy. Once you add it all up (including the cost of
> the board and construction time), you may come out ahead to just pay
> the ~$300 for a real CAT.
>
> Do you think multiple smaller (cheaper) devices might be more
> practical?
> (I just split the Cinematronics multigame into two PLDs for the very
> same
> reason, and being a purist, I thought it was going to kill me).

Joe-- are you using Synario? Synario lets you just build the design and
then the Synario fitter will target it to multiple smaller devices if
that's what you pick in the device kit...

> P.S. From the perspective of money being no object, I like the idea of
> an elegant, single chip solution. Unfortunately, the techies find
> out sooner or later that what looks good on paper, doesn't always
> translate into a practical solution. That's when you have to com-
> promise some elegance for what's most practical to manufacture.

Boy, if I had a dollar for everytime I went through *that* exercise...
;-)

-Clay